Wednesday, February 13, 2008

White Picket Fence (delusion)

I have this ongoing struggle (at least in my finite brain) that life "should" be a certain way. White picket fence comes to mind. One loving compassionate spouse (pretty good there), 2.4 (not sure what that number actually represents...?) well behaved adoring/adorable offspring (taking deep breathe...), a loyal mutt (actually have a 13 year old golden... doesn't get much more picture perfect in the mutt category), good friends who know you and love you anyway (really blessed there), and extended family members that add a sense of joy, love and belonging among other hope filled things (all in all, again really blessed... though there is one (or two) who continually cause me to be on my knees in prayer and has made me understand that control is really some sort of illusion where other's choices are concerned).


I guess what I really mean is that in my white picket fence (delusion) world, problems have concrete answers that find agreement and resolution in a timely manner (say before dinner time, like on the Brady Bunch!) And neither offspring nor dear ones make choices they contend are their own business, yet seem also to contend somebody else must fix it (that'd be me).


My picket fence world has a protective bubble around it (thanks for the visual.... you know who you are xo)... it is sparkling and shiny but impenetrable. With in it all things are right and good.... nothing undesirable exists that a big hug and a nice long walk can't repair. Most food items have no calories (just kidding, but I said my world was delusional didn't I?)... Anyway... before I ramble on too much longer and someone finally takes me up on having me locked up in a padded cell... I'll end with this, I was wanting to high-five Beth Moore the other day when I was doing my Bible Study. In it she commented that she didn't find any families in scripture that were not dysfunctional. And that in fact "abnormal" appears to be "normal" all things considered. Too that I add... with a grateful heart... that it's the imperfect ones (I willingly head the top of that list!) that Jesus came to save in the first place. God is good... I am so thankful :)