Monday, January 28, 2008

Directionally Challenged



N...S...E...W...... Four letters that represent the direction I might be facing at any given moment. Four letters that have me biting my tongue, as to not express a four letter word in a fit of frustration when I am once again..... meandering "W".... when I should have gone "E" or visa versa...


I shudder to recall the number of times I have gotten myself... lets just say... "temporally misplaced." Just the other day... in the midst of a serious downpour, I... meandered for about 8 minutes in the wrong direction... while all the while deep down knowing I was off course, I couldn't convince myself to STOP.... TURN AROUND.... Until I pretty much noticed I was the only human on that side of campus... heading toward apparently, NOTHING... at least, not the parking lot my car was in ( that just so happened to be about as far away as I was standing at that moment, on campus, as one could possibly be.)


Eventually I stood still for a moment... mentally giving myself the what for... then had to just laugh at the sheer predictability of my predicament and do an about face and proceed about 22 minutes in the opposite direction, head on, into the storm... (umbrella in hand being much more of a hindrance than a help) Then... like a beacon of light... beckoning off in the blurrily soaked distance.... my humble Mitsubishi Montero Sport became visible to the discerning eye and I practically skipped my drowned rat of a body into the driver's side of the car and had a good laugh at myself.... what else could I do, I was soaked, freezing, tired, did I mention I had heals on???


Yes I am directionally challenged... left to my own devices I wander aimlessly. Thank God (literally) that in a real and profound way, in matters of consequence, I've learned to let God chart my course because only He can make my path straight. I may on occasion relapse and rely on my fault ridden "GPS", but I'm grateful to know that His GPS (God's Perfect Sovereignty) is foolproof and trustworthy every time. There is no doubt in my mind His way is better.... I'm sure this wont be the last time I misplace my parked car, but hopefully the number of times I literally lose my way in life are no longer as prevalent and a testament that I walk by faith and not by sight, because I trust in what is not seen. My eyes and feelings can and have deceived me.... God never has...never will.