Monday, January 21, 2008

CSUCI Here I Come!

A week or so ago I was driving to transfer student orientation at CSUCI and I started to cry. I called my husband who was on a business trip to tell him how thankful I was that I was finally really returning to college and then I abruptly said... I've got to go... I can't be the old woman on campus crying.... I've got to get it together! I'm 44 years old and I was crying as I was driving to "big girl school"! I have wanted to finish my degree for more than 22 years. 22 years is more than 2 decades (okay... that is the extent of my higher math skills!)

In 1985 I received my AA degree in communications. In the years reaching up to today I have accumulated a couple handfuls of credits, and moved a handful of times... life went on and time has marched by, but tomorrow is the big day and I want to tell everyone who has encouraged me and believed this day would happen for me, THANK YOU! Hugs.... kisses... and my deepest admiration and love for your support. Thank you!!!


I can't believe how different my perspective is in my forties than it was in my early 20's. Way back when all I really wanted to do was pass the required class and move on. Today I just want to learn. I want engage in the process of learning with others. I want to contribute to the experience, take in what is good and right and true, discern what is just plain nutty and appreciate the value in agreeing to disagree without undermining what I hold dearly at this point in my life as deeply impassioned convictions. I can't wait to get there. I bought a CSUCI sweatshirt (sweatpants too!) I have my books and my really slick highlighter/sticky note pen and my bright red CSUCI spiral book...


I told my husband that I thought I should live on campus and come home on the occasional holiday (except spring break of course... have to be with my people :) ! ) He thought that was probably taking it a bit too far... he's probably right! Can you imagine the poor 20 year old who would get me as their dorm mate?!? I'll just have to learn where all the Starbucks are on the way to school and practice not breaking down crying tears of joy on the drive everyday... Now I just need to get some sleep... I'll keep you posted xo :)