Monday, August 18, 2008

What I did on my summer vacation....

School starts back up again Monday :) I'm excited to get back on track. This is the first summer in a very long time when I have not been working :) I had big plans to write (hmmmm, well, I gathered all of my most recent scribbles into one folder, it's a start...) I was going to drop the 10 pounds I packed on since returning to college... (no comment) I started learning to play golf, had both kids move out to go to different colleges, spent time with friends and family and read a few books. I'm a blessed girl :)



Summer Book Review:


Why we are not emergent: By two guys who should be - by Kevin Deyoung and Ted Kluck- Thoughtful, insightful and informative. I appreciated the balance and variation in their two writing styles and the clarity and impassioned intention with which each writer addressed their concerns and respectfully presented their case.







The Shack - by William P. Young - Okay... I read it :) Interesting and creative work of fiction. I wouldn't try try to pass a theology exam by studying it but I enjoyed the author's ability to draw you into the moment with descriptive ease.












The Organic God - by Margret Fiengold - A very quick read. Heavy on personal reflection and analogies perhaps a bit light on concrete content, but overall, I connected with her engaging ability to communicate, and was moved by her heart's desire in writing this book.







Lessons Learned in the Dark - by Jenifer Rothschild - A remarkable recounting of a life being beautifully lived out sightless but not lacking vision. Even when you can't see Him... He remains :) God is good.