Friday, April 20, 2012

Love You Mom








 April 20, 1928- November 10, 2004

Love you Mom
My mom would have been 84 years old today. Its impossible to think of my mom's passing without recalling the way she chose to live.  Ever the optimist, even as she was confined to bed for her last few days, she would regularly wake from a nap and say, "Oh, I'm still here...God must still have something for me to do today!" and she meant it.  Had she still been with us, I imagine she would have been in the middle of helping to plan her club's annual spring tea. No doubt she would have had her fingers in a number of other community minded or church related projects.  She would have probably had a lunch date with her BFF's and most likely would have been wearing something outlandish and sparkly - causing heads to turn (and some to talk) and loving every minute of it.

The older I get (even though I was adopted) I can see our similarities in ways that sometimes surprise me and can laugh at the myriad of ways we differed from one another.  I remember showing up to one of her many events dressed in a navy suit, only to catch a glimpse of my mom entering the room in a red sequinned gown and shimmering gold high heels - I wanted to cringe.  I actually prefer to blend in - not my mom, she liked to stir things up, to light up a room, to give people something to smile about - and she did that often.

Today I am remembering my mom with a smile (and a tear or two to be honest) and thinking she would have loved this warm spring day, and would not have wanted to waste a minute of it pondering a list of "what ifs..."?  She would have been out doing it - I loved that about her - I miss her today...