Tuesday, January 31, 2012

wrecked for the mundane


Word for the day:  Serendipitously as defined by Merriam Webster...
Serendipitously: obtained or characterized by serendipity 
(thought you weren't supposed to use the word in the definition?)

I like to learn about people and write their stories.  My favorite interviewees are "regular" people who are devoted to doing amazing things. Over the last few years I have had the opportunity to meet and interview many "extra"-ordinary people.  What I really enjoy discovering is the moment their idea, encounter, assignment, job, outing, etc... seemingly serindipitously took on a life of its own.  I love that "light bulb" moment when their passion and their talents intersected with reality and from that point on they were ruined for their former life; simply striving to preserve the status-quo in their life lost its meaning and the life they were created to live came into focus. 

Truly I've been blessed to see God's hand at work a time or two.  I have been privileged beyond measure to participate in what I can only believe has been a divine appointment from time to time. The thing is, I believe those moments are happening all around us and are happening often. They may appear serendipitous - but I believe they were planned before time began for you and I to lay hold of. I believe God is still in the miracle business. His word tells us His plans for us are too numerous to list. (Ps. 40:5-6) BUT, He is looking to accomplish His work through those whose eyes and heart remains singularly focused/reliant on Him (2 Chron.16:9).

Confession:  I am also convinced I am often more driven to distraction by what I want, think or feel most days, to even notice opportunities before me. And yet, one thing I am sure of - I WANT more of those God ordained moments in my life. Even the momentary glimpses of those "God moments" in my life have left me wrecked for the mundane - how about you?